As we all may know, training can become a bit repetitive and mundane up until a certain point. It is for this reason that we should be incorporating new routines and exercises without having to compromise the rhythm of our program.
I suggest incorporating a core-training day into your existing routine for a wide array of benefits which include stronger performance, a healthier physique and better posture.
What is the Core?
The core is mainly comprised of the abdomen, the glutes, hips and lower back.
What are the main benefits for training my core?
Incorporating one day a week for core training can be an asset to your fitness levels as well as to your cardiovascular and spinal health. Having a strong and tight core can be beneficial for the following reasons.
- A strong spine/core can help you get stronger at compound lifts. Exercises such as deadlifts, squats and bench press require a certain level of core strength.
- Training your core can shrink your waist and give you a good waist-to-hip ratio. A good waist-to-hip ratio ensures a lowered risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Use this calculator to find out what your waist-to-hip ratio is. A healthy waist-to-hip ratio is any number below 0.8 for women and 0.95 for men, both of these ratios indicates a healthy level of fat in the body.
- Training your core can give you a very symmetrical looking physique. Training your obliques, in particular can contribute to a more chiseled appearance for males and a more feminine and a narrow appearance with women. Training your hips, on the other hand, can balance out to create a more slender appearance.
How many times a week can I do this routine?
Spending at least one exercise session or two incorporating these moves at the end of a workout can be beneficial for that shredded and healthy tiny waist.
What is the routine?
Work Out Breakdown:
2 moves for the hips
1 move for the obliques
2 moves for the lower back
Exercises: (Press the link for a demonstration of the exercise)
- Banded Glutes Bridge: 3×20 . How to do it: (Tutorial)
- Side Laying Banded Abductor: 3×20. How to do it: (Tutorial)
- Superman: 3×20. How to do it: (Tutorial)
- Bird-dog: 3×20 . How to do it: (Tutorial)
- Russian Twist: 3×20. How to do it: (Tutorial)